Earlier in my blog, i have written an article about “Leadership Begins from Home”. Continuing from the same topic, i would like to add few more points, InshaAllah.
During the upbringing of the children of Believers, often they train their sons to have the characteristics of an Imam. Why they train their sons to become Imam? Why the parents believe that it is very important?
Though the answer is simple but it is highly significant! In the spiritual aspect An Imam is a leader, normally the one who leads the prayers in the masjid is known as an Imam.
For further clarification may refer to my article titled, “Solah in congregation…..” which tells us the benefits of performing solah with an Imam. In Islam every one of us is appointed as Imam “A Leader”.
Our beloved Nabi sollaLlahu alaihi wa aalihi wa sallam reported to have said that كُلُّكُمْ رَاعٍ، وَكُلُّكُمْ مَسْؤولٌ عَنْ رَعِيَّتِهِ، فَالأَمِيرُ رَاعٍ وَهُوَ مَسْؤُولٌ، وَالرَّجُلُ رَاعٍ عَلَى أَهْلِهِ وَهُوَ مَسْؤُولٌ، وَالْمَرْأَةُ رَاعِيَةٌ عَلَى بَيْتِ زَوْجِهَا وَهِيَ مَسْؤُولَةٌ، أَلاَ وَكُلُّكُمْ رَاعٍ، وَكُلُّكُمْ مَسْؤُولٌ عَنْ رَعِيَّتِهِ. All of you are shepherds and each of you is responsible for his flock. A man is the shepherd of the people of his house and he is responsible. A woman is the shepherd of the house of her husband and she is responsible. Each of you is a shepherd and each is responsible for his flock. (Bukhari and Muslim). In the case of a Man he is created to become a Leader with many responsibilities to fulfill for his wife, children, family, society, ummah and nation, so he is a Leader by all means. Allah swt says : الرِّجَالُ قَوَّامُونَ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ بِمَا فَضَّلَ اللَّهُ بَعْضَهُمْ عَلَىٰ بَعْضٍ وَبِمَا أَنفَقُوا مِنْ أَمْوَالِهِمْ ۚ Men are the Leaders (protectors and maintainers) of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means…………. (al-Quran Chapter AnNisa 34) Hence, a responsible Imam – (a man) must have certain good qualities such as
• Good akhlaq
• Man of accountability
• A man of discipline
• A man who understands about those who follow him when he is leading the solah
• A man – Imam, who properly trained to guide, manage and teach the ma’mum (followers) during the congregational Solah to validate their Solah and Jamaa’
• A man of “amanah”especially for the time management and being a leader who is punctual at all the time
• A man of confidence to discharge the obligated duties and who is also knowledgeable to perform them.
• A man who is capable and confident to recite the necessary Surahs during the jahr solah (subuh, maghrib and isyak )
• A man who is capable to fulfill many more entrusted responsibilities as a Leader. Hence, when you have been trained to become an Imam – Leader, you are able to handle people of many levels and types at all the situations. With your proper training as a responsible Imam, InshaAllah you are also able to lead your family, your colleagues, your friends, your society, your ummah and your nation on the straight path with the blessings of Allah Who Created you to fulfill the given purpose in this dunia. Ameen ameen ameen Ya Allah.