“The phrase Isthiqamah (from the foundation “qaama”) means to go straight into the proper route, performing rightly, permitting no deviation. It’s from the identical root that the phrase musthaqeem is derived (i.e. sirat al-musthaqeem — the straight path). It may be translated as ‘steadfastness’.”
Allah swt says:
فَاسْتَقِمْ كَمَا أُمِرْتَ وَمَن تَابَ مَعَكَ وَلَا تَطْغَوْا ۚ إِنَّهُ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ بَصِيرٌ
So stand (ask Allah to make) you firm and straight as you are commanded and those who turn in repentance with you, and transgress not. Verily, He is All-Seer of what you do. [Surat Hud, 12:112]
Ibn Abbas (r) stated that no different verse from the whole Qur’an was revealed upon the Messenger that was tougher upon him than this verse. It was because of this verse that the Prophet stated : “Surat Hud and its companions have made my hair white” Why was this? As a result of istiqamah may be very troublesome to realize.
There are a few meanings that was suggested by The Companions on what it means to Isthiqamah
Abu Bakr (r) mentioned about Isthiqamah: “That you don’t affiliate companions (shirk) with Allah.
Umar ibn al-Khattab (r) mentioned about isthiqamah: “It’s that, try to be steadfast on the issues which might be obligated, and to desert the prohibitions.”
Uthman ibn Affan (r) mentioned about Isthiqamah:“ To have ikhlas (sincerity) to Allah solely in doing actions.”
Ibn Abbas (r) mentioned about Isthiqamah:: “It means to meet your duties to Allah.”
From the educational institutions,
the students also always used to proclaim that Isthiqamah is the toughest factor during their studies to carry on constantly……..
According to my humble understanding Isthiqamah means : Believe in Allah and worship Him alone constantly, obey Sunnah Nabi (saw) without failure, submit ourselves to Allah whole heartedly and steadfastly, do every ibadah steadily and steadfastly, constantly obey Allah with surety and beg for Allah’s help and protection sincerely.
During the pandemic situations of Covid 19, we must be more aware about Allah’s decree “Isthiqamah” for us to be protected from all the punishments of Allah swt!
This means that we must be in “isthiqamah” for all our Ibadah to Allah without failure, for whatever we have been doing from the begginning of the deadly contagious covid-19 must be continued without failure. For example :
1) If any one of us just started performing 5 times Solah in a day, then keep on continue doing it without failure (Isthiqamah) and try slowly to perform Solah sunnah rawatib (before and after solah fardhu) and may try to increase slowly other voluntary solahs.
2) If any one of us just have learnt about Islam and begin to enjoy the beauty of Islam, then keep on finding the truth and continue entertaining your soul with the true beauties of Islam. Islam is beautiful indeed!
3) If any one of us just started to learn the noble al-Quran, then keep on reading the noble al-Quran and study it constantly.
4) If any one of us just started trying to understand the meaning of the noble al-Quran – Allah’s glorious words, then keep on discovering the hidden treasures of Allah’s glorious words’ meaning and messages to reflect on our life constantly. This will guide us to find all the answers of our questions and queries.
Some effective tips for how to achieve isthiqamah, In simple terms
• Just do our ibadahs at our own pace, as how it prescribed and scheduled by Allah swt, doing it constantly and keep increasing it by searching to better ourselves for the sake of Allah.
• Just perform the prescribed obligatory ibadah and obey to the decrees of Allah constantly, all the decrees of Allah is very easy to perform
• Just be sincere in all your ibadah, bear in the mind that, the reason why we are doing it is ….definitely only for Allah
• Just look for more knowledge constantly to upgrade and to better ourselves for the sake of Allah
• Just start doing “it” slowly but steadily as Allah would never impose dufficulty upon someone whom He knows cannot bear the burden. All the ibadah in Islam is very easy
• just accept the religious obligations devotedly, sincerely with constant submission, realizing the decrees and the essence of ibadah through the faculties of the acceptance of the 5 sense.
Ya Allah we beg for Your infinite Rahmah and thoufeeq for us to do Isthiqamah
Ya Allah we beg You to accept our Ibadah and istiqamah
Ya Allah we beg for Your forgiveness for all our wrong doings. Ameen Ameen Ameen ya Allah